Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Alito About Affirmative Action and Abortion

The Washington Post, quotes Samuel Alito's 1985 letter seeking promotion in the Reagan Justice Department:

"In successfully seeking a promotion in the Reagan administration's Justice Department, Alito wrote that he was "particularly proud'' of contributing to cases arguing "that racial and ethnic quotas should not be allowed and that the Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion.'' He added, "I personally believe very strongly" in such positions."

The article goes on to cite Barbara Feinstein's report of Alito's explanation:

"He said, first of all, it was different then," Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) told reporters after meeting with Alito. "He said, 'I was an advocate seeking a job, it was a political job, and that was 1985. I'm now a judge, I've been on the circuit court for 15 years, and it's very different. I'm not an advocate, I don't give heed to my personal views. What I do is interpret the law.' "

Alito's critics:

""This memo is so significant because it conveys his legal views," said Nan Aron of the liberal Alliance for Justice. "He can't say he was just representing the views of a client or the government. These are his views, and therefore they are the best window into how he would rule if confirmed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home