Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones! Happy holidays to everyone!

Christmas celebrates a God who was born in a manger among animals. A God who was adored by shepherds and angels. When the wise men came, they attracted danger and the holy family had to seek refuge on foreign soil.

Like our savior, millions of children live in poverty, not only abroad but in our midst. The Nobel Price winning economist Amartya Sen even documented that child mortality is higher in the United States than in the southern Indian state Kerala. New Orleans revealed to us that ten to twenty percent of our countrymen live in third world conditions.

If I encountered baby Jesus in the manger today, would I be concerned about the quality of his health care? What about Mary, the mother of God?

And then what? Would I support Joseph's need for a living wage?

Would I do my part that even those who have to live in stables enjoy a life of rights and dignity?

The genius of Christianity is that God became a man. He lived among us and suffered with us. That's how he was born and that's how he redeemed the world.

If I don't step up for those of my neighbors who share Christ's predicament then I can neither claim to love my God nor my neighbor.

Have a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home