Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Living in Hiding

Imagine you where to marry the love of your life but you had to keep it a secret from your family and your church. That's a small measure of what it must feel like if you have to hide the nature of your sexuality from the people that matter most to you.

Image hosting by Photobucket


I found this picture on Postsecret, a blog where the author asks folks to send them their secrets. It's a fascinating project. Check it out.

I am looking forward to the day when monogamous legitimate relationships, also known as families, no longer have to be a secret.

1 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Or not being able to be married, at all. I understand not getting a church-sanctioned wedding (sort of), on the grounds that it's against someone's religion (although I actually don't get that at all), but I don't understand granting all people the LEGAL rights that come along with marriage.

One of my friends recently died of complications due to AIDS. He and his partner had had a union ceremony a year and a half earlier, but still the surviving partner had no legal say over the funeral of his partner. Luckily, both sets of parents recognized their union, but in too many cases, the families of the deceased discount the partner.

Now I'm sad.

14:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home