Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Bigots and Heroes

I love the bumper sticker "God Bless the Whole World, No Exceptions." This morning the BBC Newshour broadcasted a spontaneous demonstration in Dahab where residents chanted: "We love everyone! We love everyone!"

By contrast, Osama bin Laden is calling on his followers to defend the genocidal murderers in Sudan.

Apparently, bin Laden does not care that the murdered men and raped women are Muslims. Instead of celebrating the efforts of the African Union and the United Nations to improve the situation of the victims, bin Laden maligns them as enemies of Islam.

It seems to me that human beings have an obligation to help the victims. While I am not an expert of Islam, I dare say that the Quran supports that view, especially when Muslims are suffering.

Bin Laden's attitude proves that he does not care about Muslims. He reserves his solidarity only to Arabs, a group of which he happens to be a member. In bin Laden's opinion, Arab Muslims apparently deserve protection under all circumstances even when they rape and murder other Muslims.

I can only conclude that bin Laden is just another racist. The heroes are the African soldiers and UN observers, forsaken by the world community, that put their lifes on the line to safe human beings.

The war against al Quaeda is really a civil war that splits every community.

2 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

Did you miss me? I've been setting up my blog, dang it's hard work, and not all that fun. Although I can write funny. If I do say so.

A guy named Steve, I think, blogged on another blog, I think it was new cool thang, about his problems with Mormonism, especially our views towards gays. I referred him here.

I have to say I would put those guys in Iraq and Afganistan in this category. I know some of them (well, a tiny percent) personally, our 222nd is there in Ramadi, and they are wonderful men.

Your last line though, says it. So sad.

Those poor people of the Sudan. And they try to blame this on global warming. Indeed.

01:30  
Blogger Hellmut said...

Congratulations to your blog, Anne. I will check it out.

And thanks for recommending Beyond Ourselves.

06:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home